Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What are you here for?

For the past month or so I have been struggling to answer what seems like a very simple question: Why? Everyone wants to know why I am quitting my job, renting out my apartment, packing everything I can into a 75 L Osprey and leaving my country alone on a one way flight. Seems like a fair question. For the sake of brevity I have been giving a variety of one-liners: 'The surfing is supposed to be great.', 'Why not?', ' or 'I just graduated and don't have any commitments  so it seemed like a good opportunity to travel.' , 'I'm bored with american boys...'

                        All the correct documentation. Guess my Spanish was good enough to get in!

While all (ok most) of these and the many others are true and small factors, there is a lot more to this epic adventure I have set out on. Yes I want to see parts of the world and different cultures that are extremely different from my own experience. Yes, this is a period of my life when I am facing major transition and upheaval already and I have the attitude of go big if you are going at all. And yes, the surf here is incredible. The real motivation behind this trip though is almost purely internal. After over 12 years of college prep, meeting graduation requirements, and pursuing a career that was chosen for reasons that were not the right ones and following a prescribed path and lifestyle dictated by my family's values and cultural norms, I have come to realize that there has not been a single major decision made in my life that has been solely for me based upon what I want. And I don't even know what that is most of the time.

                                                    The view approaching San Jose, CR

For me this trip is a chance to set aside the expectations and mile markers and to learn to make decisions based upon what I am passionate about, what feels right, and not what allows me to check the most criteria off of some generic list. Living that way has not served me well as some of you know and many of you can understand from personal experience. To me this trip is a commitment to myself and a crash course in being rather than doing and a chance to learn to value and know who I am outside of all of the external noise. For now I'm going to go without plans, without destinations, and see where it takes me.

                                          Yeah. I'm here. Not much more to say about that.

And between bouts of introspection and personal growth I'm going to have a fucking epic time adventuring in the jungle and on the waves.  Stories and photos to come depending on the quality of surf and whether I have the access and inclination to use my computer.

P.S. To be on the safe side assume this blog to be rated R. If you're under 18 get off the internet and go climb a rock or something!

2 comments:

  1. Kelsey,
    I have loved keeping a blog along my adventure and it has allowed me to see patterns in my life that I never even knew were there. Journey well my friend. I miss your face at the gym already, but I feel so good to know that it has been covered in sunshine since you have been gone. The road can be a lonely place at times, when it gets that way come back to this first entry and read it, and remember why you are journeying.

    So much love and well wishes to you.

    J.Mamma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muchas gracias Mamacita! I miss you as well. I have been cimbing anything I don't get shot for touching around here. Miss the gym and all the awesome people there.

    ReplyDelete